Influenza, commonly known as flu, is a highly contagious disease caused by the influenza virus. The 2017 influenza vaccines contain antigens from the following four virus strains:
- A (H1N1): A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09 like virus– changed from 2016
- A (H3N2): A/Hong Kong/4801/2014 (H3N2) like virus– unchanged from 2016
- B Victoria lineage: B/Brisbane/60/2008 like virus– unchanged from 2016
- B Yamagata lineage: B/Phuket/3073/2013 like virus– unchanged from 2016.
Everyone is encouraged to get the flu vaccine, but it is strongly recommended that the following groups are immunised because they are at higher risk of serious complications from flu and under the Australian Government’s National Immunisation Program the following groups can receive a free flu vaccine:
- pregnant women
- children aged 6 months to less than 5 years
- people 65 years and older
- Aboriginal Australians 15 years and older
- people 6 months and older with medical conditions that put them at risk of severe flu, including:
At Dr Foster & Associates we have available the free Government funded vaccines as well as Private vaccines for patients to purchase.